The transfer window is open, and Transfer Talk has the latest rumours making the rounds. Follow along with our daily blog throughout the summer.
TOP STORY: Cavani open to replacing Ronaldo at Real Madrid
Real Madrid have turned their attention to Paris Saint-Germain’s Edinson Cavani as they eye a replacement for the departed Cristiano Ronaldo, AS reported.
Ronaldo left the Bernabeu for Juventus on a €100 million transfer earlier this month, leaving a glaring hole in Madrid’s attack.
Cavani, who has been one of PSG’s most popular players since joining from Napoli in 2013, would potentially fill that need as he scored 38 goals in all competitions last season — and the striker would reportedly be interested in such a move.
But given Cavani’s status around the club — he is one of chairman Nassar Al-Khelaifi’s most-respected players — he has had to delicately raise the topic of a transfer, according to the report.
PSG, meanwhile, have decided they would be willing to let him go for less than €100 million, but Madrid would likely not be willing to meet his contract demands as the Uruguay international makes €12m a year.
14:37 BST: Everton officials have travelled to Barcelona to negotiate a transfer fee for Lucas Digne, Sport reported.
Barca rejected a first offer and have been holding out for €16 million for the full-back, and now that Richarlison’s move has been finalised, Everton can focus on Digne.
14:04 BST: Liverpool have signed Allan Rodrigues de Souza to a new contract and have sent him on loan to Eintracht Frankfurt for the season.
The midfielder, a Brazil youth international, has been repeatedly sent on loan since joining Liverpool in 2015 and spent last season at Apollon Limassol.
13:41 BST: Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas reiterated his desire to have Nabil Fekir remain with the club next season.
Fekir, who won the World Cup with France, had been close to a move to Liverpool prior to the tournament, agreeing personal terms and completing a medical before deal fell through.
“It is difficult for Nabil to find a much better club [than Lyon],” Aulas told L’Equipe.
Lyon, however, are open to letting youth academy product Myziane Maolida leave this summer, with Real Betis weighing up an €8 million bid for the 19-year-old.
13:13 BST: While they wait for an answer from AC Milan on a potential transfer for Nikola Kalinic, Atletico Madrid have been considering other options — and Olivier Giroud is firmly in their sights.
According to Marca, the striker is not in Maurizio Sarri’s plans at Chelsea, who would be eager to move Giroud to make room for another player.
12:49 BST: DONE DEAL — Sevilla have announced the signing of centre-back Sergi Gomez from Celta Vigo on a four-year deal.
Gomez, the former Barcelona youth product, will help offset the loss of Clement Lenglet, who left Sevilla for Barca earlier this month.
— Sevilla FC (@SevillaFC_ENG) July 25, 2018
12:43 BST: Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge acknowledged Paris Saint-Germain have made contact with Jerome Boateng‘s agents over a potential transfer.
“At the moment there is no direct contact between the clubs,” Rummenigge told reporters. “But I think there is contact between his agents and PSG.
“Now we have to wait and see whether at the end of the day we find a basis on which we can agree on a transfer. We have to find a transfer fee that would be acceptable for both.”
12:38 BST: The potential return of Leonardo Bonucci to Juventus may be nearing as club officials spoke with their AC Milan counterparts on Tuesday, La Gazzetta dello Sport reported.
Bonucci could move to the club he left last summer in a swap deal involving Gonzalo Higuain, who has been made surplus to requirements in Turin by the arrival of Cristiano Ronaldo.
Holding up any potential deal, however, are Juve’s demands that Milan pay €60 million for Higuain, as well as Milan’s insistence upon including centre-back Mattia Caldara, who was loaned to Atalanta last season, as a makeweight.
12:34 BST: DONE DEAL — Paderborn have purchased Bernard Tekpetey from Schalke, with the 20-year-old moving to the 2. Bundesliga on a four-year deal that includes a buyback clause.
12:31 BST: West Ham United announced they have sent midfielder Marcus Browne, who has made one first-team appearance, on a season-long loan to Oxford United.
12:24 BST: Before Malcom signed with Barcelona on Tuesday, he had been linked to a move to a number of clubs — though Real Madrid and Manchester United both decided they were not interested.
According to AS, the two clubs were offered the chance to sign the Bordeaux winger by Kia Joorabchian, who had previously arranged the moves of Carlos Tevez to United (and then to Manchester City), Willian to Chelsea and Paulinho to Guangzhou Evergrande.
Madrid, in particular, were not interested in Malcom because they believe that their two options — Gareth Bale and Marco Asensio — are better than what he would add.
12:05 BST: Hoffenheim have announced the signing of Kasim Adams Nuhu from BSC Young Boys on a five-year contract.
The 22-year-old centre-back started all 36 appearances he made last season and has won four caps for Ghana.
👋 Welcome, @KassimAdams24!
— TSG Hoffenheim EN (@achtzehn99_en) July 25, 2018
11:59 BST: Watford announced they have sent defender Tommie Hoban on loan to Aberdeen for the season and sold winger Nordin Amrabat to Al-Nassr.
The homegrown Hoban, 24, has made 58 appearances for the club and could return in January, while Amrabat, 31, was loaned to Leganes last season.
11:47 BST: Southampton have sent midfielder Jordy Clasie back to Feyenoord on a season-long loan.
Clasie left Feyenoord, his boyhood club, for the Premier League in 2015, but was sent on loan to Club Brugge last season.
— Southampton FC (@SouthamptonFC) July 25, 2018
11:29 BST: The arrival of Malcom has Ousmane Dembele considering his options after just one season at Barcelona, according to Cadena Cope.
Dembele, who joined the club from Borussia Dortmund in a €105 million deal last summer, was injured for much of the summer, and his relationship with coach Ernesto Valverde has reportedly broken down.
Barcelona, though, are not considering selling Dembele because they consider he and Malcom to be two different types of players.
11:11 BST: Paris Saint-Germain have left for their tour of Singapore without Goncalo Guedes, whose future with the club remains uncertain, according to RMC Sport.
Guedes, sent on loan to Valencia last season, could return to the club permanently, but PSG are holding out for €50 million for the 21-year-old, who is under contract for three more seasons.
10:51 BST: DONE DEAL — Atletico Madrid have announced they have completed a transfer for Gelson Martins after he left Sporting Lisbon:
— Atlético de Madrid (@atletienglish) July 25, 2018
10:48 BST: Newcastle United manager Rafa Benitez said he doesn’t believe his squad is good enough to win in the Premier League.
Newcastle have seen a number of players exit this summer — most recently Chancel Mbemba on Monday — and he was frustrated by his side’s performance in a 2-2 draw against Hull City on Tuesday.
10:43 BST: It won’t be long now before new Barcelona winger Malcom makes his debut:
— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) July 25, 2018
10:17 BST: DONE DEAL — Monaco announced overnight the signing of defensive midfielder Jean-Eudes Aholou on a five-year contract.
Aholou, 24, arrives from Strasbourg and has won two caps for the Ivory Coast.
10:05 BST: New Roma winger Justin Kluivert said he made the right decision to leave Ajax on a €17.25 million transfer in June.
“I thought a long time about my decision and I think this is the best for me, and I will give 100 percent for the club,” Kluivert told NBC Sports. “Nobody can do more than 100 percent so let’s see what it’ll be like. I want to be there for the team, and I think we can achieve great things and I want to contribute.”
09:43 BST: Crystal Palace are negotiating with West Ham United over a transfer of midfielder Cheikhou Kouyate, according to Sky Sports.
Kouyate, a Senegal international, may leave the club if West Ham can prise £10 million from their London counterparts.
09:11 BST: Sporting Lisbon winger Gelson Martins has been waiting in Madrid since Monday to finalise his transfer to Atletico Madrid, according to AS.
Martins was among the mass exodus of players terminating their Sporting contracts earlier this summer, but both sides are waiting to hear back from FIFA regarding his legal status.
08:54 BST: A day after finalising a €41 million move from Bordeaux to Barcelona, Malcom is undergoing his medical with his new club:
— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) July 25, 2018
08:34 BST: Sevilla will firm up their defence with a €15 million move for France under-21 international Joris Gnagnon, AS reported.
Gnagnon made 32 starts last season for Rennes, his boyhood club, and will help Sevilla offset the loss of Clement Lenglet, who left for Barcelona, and potentially also Steven Nzonzi, who is eyeing an exit.
08:11 BST: Liverpool are preparing to keep Daniel Sturridge this summer and run the risk of losing him a year from now, according to the Liverpool Echo.
Sturridge, who was sent on loan to West Bromwich Albion in January, was beset by numerous injuries while away from Anfield but has reportedly impressed Jurgen Klopp with his attitude and fitness since rejoining the club for preseason training.
PAPER TALK (by Matthew Stanger)
TOP STORY: Man United line up Willian alternatives
While that should hopefully improve Mourinho’s sour mood, he could still end up missing out on one of his top targets as Chelsea drag their feet over a potential deal for Willian.
The Brazilian winger is thought to be interested in a move to Old Trafford, but the Blues’ reluctance to enter negotiations has forced Mourinho to consider other options, including Croatia World Cup star Ante Rebic.
The often-linked Ivan Perisic and Gareth Bale also remain on United’s shortlist, but time is running out to get such a high-profile transfer over the line.
Meanwhile, Barcelona defender Yerry Mina has emerged as a new defensive target for last season’s Premier League runners-up. French outlet RMC Sport says United are keen on the Colombia centre-back but face stiff competition from Lyon and Everton.
Real Madrid switch attention to Lloris
Tottenham’s transfer business could be set to go from bad worse as The Sun links Real Madrid with a £60 million bid for Hugo Lloris.
In what is becoming an all-too-familiar occurrence for the club’s supporters, Spurs are yet to sign a single player this summer. Manager Mauricio Pochettino insists he is not fretting about the situation but, with just 16 days of the window remaining, things are getting tight in North London.
And The Sun now claims that Madrid will test their resolve to keep club captain Lloris at the new White Hart Lane.
The La Liga giants are also tracking Chelsea No. 1 Thibaut Courtois, but have struggled to strike an agreement with the Stamford Bridge outfit.
Lloris has four years left on his contract and is likely to command a fee to rival Liverpool’s record-breaking move for Alisson.
Chelsea’s striker headache
Maurizio Sarri may be denied a reunion with Gonzalo Higuain as AC Milan enter the race for the striker’s signature, says the Evening Standard.
Sarri worked with Higuain at Napoli in 2015-16, and had hoped to bring the Argentine to Chelsea in a £57m switch from Juventus.
However, Milan have joined the queue to secure Higuain’s services, despite also expressing an interest in Blues forward Alvaro Morata.
The Standard says Morata is one of a number of names being considered by the Serie A side, with Chelsea responding in kind by enquiring about Gianluigi Donnarumma.
Meanwhile, The Sun claims Sarri will snap up former England keeper Rob Green on a one-year deal as backup.
– Fulham have won the race to bring Andre Schurrle back to the Premier League, according to Sky Sports. The former Chelsea striker had been linked with West Ham and Crystal Palace after being told he is free to leave Borussia Dortmund.
– Wolves are continuing to strengthen for their return to the top flight by signing Jonny Castro on a season-long loan from Atletico Madrid. The Mail says the 24-year-old full-back should arrive for a medical on Wednesday.
– Everton’s Davy Klaassen could be handed a lifeline by Bundesliga side Werder Bremen, claims Sky Sports. The 25-year-old has struggled to settle at Goodison Park and made just seven Premier League appearances last season.