Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has dismissed speculation over the futures of goalkeeper Jan Oblak and defender Filipe Luis with one day remaining until European transfer windows close.
Cerezo hit out at reports that goalkeeper Jan Oblak might not renew his contract, which has a €100 million release clause.
“Oblak is a great goalkeeper and a great person and he has a long contract with us — €100m doesn’t seem like a lot,” he said.
“There are three years left on his contract and you are starting to ask questions. Everyone is important for this great squad.”
Cerezo said “no offer” had arrived for Luis, who has been linked with Paris Saint-Germain.
“He is a much needed player for Atleti,” he said. “And, like all the necessary players, he has to stay.”
Cerezo said his team wanted to be part of this season’s Champions League final, being played at their Wanda Metropolitano stadium on June 1.
Atleti went out of last year’s competition in the group stage, being held to draws by minnows Qarabag both home and away, but went on to win the Europa League.
“The Champions League at the Metropolitano is a challenge for us and what we’ll do is improve on last season, which was good too,” he said.
“All the teams that play in the Champions League are important. Remember last year, the problem we had with a team whose name I can’t remember — and it was the one that sank us in both games.
“I hope that this year we get more well-known teams and that we can beat them.”