The transfer window for Europe’s biggest clubs is open again. Transfer Talk has been scouring the world’s media and setting our correspondents loose to see who could be heading to/out of your club this month.
TOP STORY: Chelsea reject Barca bid for Willian
La Liga champions Barca are reported to have offered £38 million plus Malcom for the 30-year-old winger, who has been linked with a move to the Camp Nou in the past.
However, the Blues are reluctant to let Willian leave Stamford Bridge this month with uncertainty over Callum Hudson-Odoi‘s future. The 18-year-old winger has been the subject of multiple bids from Bayern Munich.
Barca are keen to offload Malcom, who has struggled to impress following his summer move from Bordeaux and missed two quality chances in his team’s Copa del Rey loss to Levante on Thursday.
The 21-year-old forward, who snubbed Roma to join the Blaugrana, has managed just 100 minutes in La Liga so far this term, but it appears he won’t be reviving his career at Chelsea.
12.12 GMT: A source close to Orlando City has told ESPN Brasil that the MLS club is tired of waiting for veteran Diego Ribas to decide on a move and has withdrawn its offer to Flamengo.
“We got tired of waiting,” the source told ESPN’s Jorge Nicola. “No one should have thought twice about this, because we were making them the offer of a lifetime.”
Orlando could yet restart the negotiations if the player “shows that he really wants to play in the United States” but Ribas told ESPN after the Florida Cup on Thursday night that there was never a well defined proposal and that he is willing, as he always has, to “give his body and soul” to Flamengo.
11.51 GMT: Odd one here, but Kasimpasa striker Mbaye Diagne has been the subject of a reported £13.5m bid from Chelsea, according to Milliyet.
The Senegal striker has bagged 32 goals in 34 matches since moving to Turkey but has had something of a nomadic career before then at clubs in Italy, Hungary, Saudi Arabia and Belgium. At 27, he’s not one for the future either, so we hope Chelsea know what they are doing…
11.34 GMT: Calling agent Jadon Sancho … make sure Callum Hudson-Odoi doesn’t join Bayern, OK?
11.20 GMT: Aaron Ramsey looks likely to be heading to Juventus once his contract at Arsenal expires this summer, but Gazzetta dello Sport claim that Juve want him in January and are looking at options to make that happen.
Option 1 is to pay €20m, which doesn’t seem likely. But the paper says Option 2 is to include defender Mehdi Benatia into the deal. Though that isn’t ideal either given Andrea Barzagli‘s recent injury. Looks like they may have to wait after all.
11.04 GMT: Mario Balotelli could still see out the season at Nice, the French club’s coach, Patrick Vieira, has hinted despite reports the Italy striker could soon agree to cancel his contract.
Balotelli has missed his club’s four matches and was given “a few days to think about his future” by Vieira when his teammates returned to training after the festive break.
“Mario is still here. He’s a player who is under contract, but Mario is still here. Mario is still part of the squad,” Vieira said. “He’s in a situation where he needs to think about his future in terms of what he wants to do and his options. We’re waiting for him to come back to know what he wants to do. Nothing is impossible, from the moment when a player is under contract nothing is impossible.”
Marseille, who had been expected to sign Balotelli last summer, are reportedly leading the chase for the 28-year-old’s signature.
10.47 GMT: Staying in Spain, El Mundo report that Neymar has contacted Barcelona at least five times in recent months “to ask and beg to return to the club.”
Neymar’s father, Neymar Santos Sr, has reportedly spoken personally with Barca president Josep Maria Bartomeu as well as other prominent members of Barca’s board to transmit that his son is unhappy in Paris, that he regrets leaving Barca and that there is no future for him at the club.
According to the publication, talks between Barca and Neymar’s camp have been ongoing since last season but the Catalan giants will only consider making a move for his return if the Brazil international withdraws a lawsuit he placed against the club. Neymar has taken Barca to court over an unpaid part of his renewal bonus, with the first hearing expected to take place on Jan. 31.
Juanma Lopez, the agent of the Spain international, reportedly offered the player’s services to Barca first earlier this month before proposing Morata’s loan deal to Sevilla and Atletico Madrid. According to MD, Barca turned down the option to sign Morata on a six-month loan because they were concerned about spending €5m in wages and are looking for a younger player to strengthen their attack anyway.
10.22 GMT: It’s not often we are speechless here at Transfer Talk, but this next one is unbelievable.
Kazuyoshi Miura was playing in the J.League when Gary Lineker and Zico were in Japan but AT THE AGE OF 51, he has signed a new one-year contract with Yokohama FC.
The J.League announced that the forward will play for the club in the second tier throughout the 2019 season. “I updated the contract for the 2019 season,” ‘King Kazu’ said after signing the new deal. “Thanks to everyone who always supports.”
10.15 GMT: Manchester United forward Juan Mata says he wants to focus on doing well in England and is not actively seeking a return to Spain any time soon.
Asked if he would return to play in Spain, Mata told AS: “I don’t know. I’ve been in England for some time, it’s a league I feel very comfortable playing in and have adapted very well to it; but it’s true that sometimes one misses home, his family, his friends … but I don’t know if in the near future I will return to Spain.”
Asked about his immediate future, he added: “I’m calm. I’m in a fantastic club as Manchester United is, one of the most important clubs in the world. My mentality has to be short-term and do things well.”
10.10 GMT: James Collins is set to join struggling Ipswich until the end of the season, Sky Sports reports. Former West Ham defender Collins recently ended a short-term deal at Aston Villa early because of an injury.
09.55 GMT: Fulham and Bournemouth, along with Championship duo West Brom and Aston Villa, are interested in Everton midfielder James McCarthy, according to reports.
09.35 GMT: Inter Milan sporting director Beppe Marotta has said the club will talk about a new contract with Mauro Icardi next week, telling fans they “have nothing to worry about.”
09.25 GMT: And staying with Boca, reports say talks over the sale of midfielder Nahitan Nandez are continuing, with a €21 million offer understood to have been accepted.
09.10 GMT: TyC Sports reports that Boca Juniors have turned down a €15 million offer from Lille for defensive midfielder Wilmar Barrios, a Colombia international who has also been linked with Everton.
Cornet, 22, who impressed against Manchester City in the Champions League group stage, could be tempted by the switch as he remains on the fringes of the Ligue 1 club’s squad.
Feilhaber, who turns 34 later this month, agreed to a one-year deal with a club option for 2020. He was thought to be leaning towards re-signing with LAFC, the team for which he made 38 league, playoff and cup appearances last season, scoring four goals.
08.05 GMT: David Luiz wants to return to Benfica if he fails to reach an agreement with Chelsea over a new contract, according to reports in Brazil.
The Brazil international has yet to sign a contract extension with the Blues, with his deal ending this summer. Fox Sports Brazil reports that Palmeiras, coached by Luiz Felipe Scolari, are monitoring Luiz’s situation but that the 31-year-old defender’s priority if negotiations with Chelsea are unsuccessful is to join Benfica.
07.30 GMT: Chelsea striker Michy Batshuayi‘s loan spell at Valencia is not quite going to plan, and that could mean him coming back to the Premier League this month.
The Daily Telegraph reports that the Belgium international, who has only scored one goal in La Liga since moving to Spain in the summer on a season-long loan, is wanted by Everton.
Everton are the Premier League’s joint-highest scorers outside of the top six this season, but despite that they are only 11th in the table.
PAPER TALK (Matt Gault, Football Whispers)
Arsenal chasing Banega and Suarez loans
Unai Emery may have ruled out signing players on a permanent basis this month, but Arsenal remain interested in tying up loan deals for Denis Suarez and Ever Banega.
According to The Telegraph, the Gunners are hoping to snap up Barcelona midfielder Suarez and are also pursuing Sevilla’s Banega, with both having previously played under Emery.
Barca are willing to let Suarez leave during the current window and, while Banega is a more prominent first-team figure at Sevilla, the Argentine may be tempted by the opportunity to work under Emery again.
Although it appears Arsenal will keep Aaron Ramsey until the end of the season — the Welshman is tipped to join Juventus on a free transfer this summer — the club seem keen on bolstering their midfield options as Emery attempts to secure Champions League football during his first year at the helm.
Solskjaer addresses Pochettino speculation
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is not surprised that Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino is being touted as the favourite to permanently succeed Jose Mourinho at Manchester United.
The Norwegian, who has guided the Red Devils to five straight wins after his appointment in December until the end of the season, was speaking ahead of United’s clash with Spurs at Wembley on Sunday.
“The speculation is there for a reason, because he’s done well,” Solskjaer said. “But it’s not my job to rate different managers. My focus is on me and my team.”
While Pochettino has been touted as United’s preferred candidate, Solskjaer is believed to be interested in taking the job on a permanent basis.
West Ham consider Shelvey move
West Ham are weighing up a bid for Newcastle United midfielder Jonjo Shelvey. The Daily Mail claims Hammers boss Manuel Pellegrini is a fan of the 26-year-old but does not expect the Magpies to let him go quietly.
Newcastle boss Rafa Benitez is unlikely to let Shelvey leave unless the club sources a replacement for the six-time England international.
The Hammers have already added Samir Nasri to their squad in this window but face a fight to keep top scorer Marko Arnautovic at the club after the Austrian was the subject of a £35m offer from Chinese Super League champions Shanghai SIPG.
Juventus plotting Isco bid
Having seemingly won the race for Ramsey’s signature, the Italian champions are eyeing up a summer move for Real Madrid midfielder Isco.
Gianluca Di Marzio claims Juve sporting director Fabio Paratici has been in contact with Isco’s entourage about a potential deal.
The 26-year-old has fallen out of favour at the Spanish giants recently with his last league start coming in the 5-1 defeat to Barcelona in October.
Football Whispers‘ transfer algorithm gives the likelihood of rumours happening a score out of 5.
Yannick Carrasco to Arsenal — 4.0
The Gunners have held “positive” talks with Carrasco’s representatives regarding a potential loan deal for the Belgian. The winger only joined Chinese club Dalian Yifang from Atletico Madrid in February, but is already keen to secure a move back to Europe.
Allan to Paris Saint-Germain — 3.2
PSG are poised to ramp up their interest in the Napoli midfielder with reports in Italy linking the French champions with a £72m bid for the Brazilian. Les Parisiens are keen to secure a replacement for Adrien Rabiot, who is expected to join Barcelona, but it may take a bid closer to £90m to land Allan.
Timo Werner to Tottenham — 3.1
Spurs have also reportedly joined Liverpool and Borussia Dortmund in the race to sign Timo Werner. The Germany international is enjoying a fine season at RB Leipzig with 11 goals in 17 games. The 22-year-old’s contract at the Red Bull Arena is due to expire in 2020 and would likely cost in the region of £40m.
Franck Kessie to Tottenham — 1.8
Pochettino has identified the AC Milan midfielder as a potential replacement for China-bound Mousa Dembele. The Belgian is set to leave Spurs after the club accepted a £9m bid from Beijing Sinobo Guoan and Kessie, 22, is on the club’s radar. The Ivorian has been one of Milan’s most influential players this season, starting 18 of their 19 Serie A games.
James Tarkowski to Liverpool — 1.3
The Premier League leaders are said to be considering a shock move for the Burnley centre-half amid Jurgen Klopp’s defensive injury crisis. Dejan Lovren limped off during the FA Cup defeat to Wolves to join Joe Gomez and Joel Matip on the sidelines but The Sun claims it would take a bid of nearly £50m to prise Tarkowski away from Turf Moor.